Sunday, October 10, 2004

Calamity Cuisine



Well the big weekend is here. My kitchen is being installed and I'm surrounded by enough cardboard boxes to house the Croydon homeless and there is so much dust around that it looks like the day after a nuclear holocaust. I've been sneezing so much that my nose has bled twice and my eyes look like Marty Feldman with a hangover.

Things started well yesterday morning although it was a struggle for me to get up in time for the builders 8am start. There's builder Dave with the nice legs and a chain-smoking, chubby youth with cropped hair with tram lines. Chubby youth has the job of building the cabinets and drawers whilst Dave does the more complex stuff. He has a really loud and annoying hacking cough and for some reason the dog growls every time he does it. That lad needs to cut down on the weed and suck a couple of fisherman's Friends. I was only on 5 Embassy Regal a day when I was his age. He got through a whole pack of Superking Black yesterday.

Everything was going smoothly until lunchtime when Dave asks me where some joining thing is? Apparently there should be some metal thing that covers the join in the 2 bits of work surface. I'm clueless about all this stuff but we checked through the inventory and.........bugger.........I haven't got one. Housemate sends me out to Homebase to get the missing bit. Me on my own in a DIY shed is a bit like the Pope at a Jewish wedding. Up and down the aisles I go trying to look butch and like I know what I'm looking for. In the end I give up and ask this lad who looks like the lead singer of Good Charlotte where the elusive 'thing' can be found. I'd only walked past them 3 times. None of them look right but hey......what do I know. Just to be safe I buy 3 different types. One is bound to be good.

WRONG! Dave says 'they're crap' and I'm dispatched again, to B&Q this time. Have the same problem there finding the 'thing' and once again it's located in a place you would never dream of looking. Miles from the rest of the kitchen stuff. This time there are bits that look more right but I'm not confident after the last failure so try phoning home. Try both home numbers, both of housemates mobile phones (don't ask) and Dave the builder. No one answering. Tried neighbour but she's engaged. 20 minutes later and still no contact can be made. Why the hell do people have mobile phones and keep them turned off. I decide to be brave and buy what I think is the correct one but have to get 2 cos I'm not sure which is the correct colour match. Tram home and Dave says I got the correct 'thing' this time. Feeling dead chuffed. Me getting it right at all is a bit of a miracle.

Things back on track but can't get the sink working cos the connector not right. Rather than trust me to another shed trek, Dave says he'll go to B&Q on Sunday. They finish for the day and chubby youth coughs his guts up on the way out.

Can't cook so we had McDonalds for lunch and had a couple of large Chicken Shish kebabs and twister fries for dinner. Was belching and farting all night. Even a Green Tea and White Lilly candle couldn't disguise the smell in the lounge.

Woke up early again stinking of garlic sauce and the boys start work on day 2 of the transformation.

I'm not a morning person as you know and was therefore sent into a blind panic when Dave tells me that there are 3 more 'bits' missing. No left hand fixings for 2 drawers and the wrong drawer box. I'm gutted but start to think that he's lying to me. How come the same 'bit' would be missing from 2 different kits? I'm thinking he's cocked up and buried the evidence after realising his mistake. I wander around looking a bit paranoid and searching for the 'missing' 'bits'. Anyway I pretend to believe him and we wait for MFI to open. I give them a call and the sales guy is bemused and sounds like he thinks I'm some sort of nincompoop. Which I probably do sound like as I'm trying to relay what Dave is saying whilst trying not to sound like I don't believe a word he's saying. Anyway nice salesman finally realises where we've gone wrong and points us in the right direction. The 'bits' are found. They just don't look like the 'bits' Dave was looking for. I point out that if he'd looked at the instructions he would have seen the 'bits' and what they looked like. I'm getting cocky now and chubby's cough is getting worse. The dog's ignoring it now but it's starting to really piss me off.

Dave's just asked me if he can borrow my iron? WTF. Has he brought his laundry to test drive the kitchen?????

1 comment:

Reflected Images said...

"Marty Feldman with a hangover" ROFL. I'm trying to picture it now lol.

Great blog site Steps, it brightens up my day when I find a new entry, so to speak :)

You should be writing chick lit, not blogging. It's too good to be hidden away.

Take care xxx